This is a time-lapse video of the installation of the new crucifix in the Chapel of the Immaculate Conception at St. Dominic Priory. The crucifix was designed and painted by Br. Martin Erspamer, OSB and features St. Albert the Great and St. Martin de Porres—the patrons of our provinces. The installation took a total of five hours to complete. Br. Martin Erspamer, OSB can be seen wearing a grey shirt.
The vines on the crucifix were modeled after those in the mosaic of the Tree of Life in the Basilica of San Clemente in Rome, which has been run by the Irish Dominicans since 1667. The base of the cross is planted in the earth, and the top reaches into the heavens. The banner wrapped around the cross displays the lyrics of the hymn Crux Fidelis: "Faithful Cross, O tree all beauteous, tree all peerless and divine." Near the bottom of the cross kneels a figure, representing the donor who commissioned this work. The figure wears a shield bearing the emblem of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre, of which he is a member. He holds in his hands a banner reading "God rules the nations from a tree." Peeking out from the vines on Christ's right side is a small Benedictine monk holding paint brushes—a figure representing the artist who painted the cross.
St. Albert displays a book which says "What is known by faith and reason is better understood." St. Martin de Porres, dressed in the old cooperator brother habit, holds a broom and a mouse—traditional hagiographic symbols associated with the saint.
Special thanks to members of the Paric Corporation, who are responsible for both the renovation of our house and the hanging of this crucifix.
Special cameo appearance by Fr. Timothy Radcliffe, OP, Master of the Order of Preachers from 1992-2001, at the 3:54 mark.